Clubhouse in 1928
MAPLE RIDGE GOLF COURSE IS 90 YEARS OLD September 7, 2015
In an interview with the Coquitlam Star on May 8th, 1912, John McIver Sr. described his journey from Lewis Island, Scotland to the New World in 1853. The Hudson’s Bay Company actively recruited young ambitious men to work in their forts located in the Pacific Northwest. Their ship landed at Fort Churchill on the Hudson’s Bay. He described walking from Churchill, Manitoba to the coast. “ He tells of the wanderings, and land and water life that made the HBC men almost amphibious, but of sleeping out in the open for months at a time, and going sleeveless at times because the sleeves of his coat had rotted off with the rain.”
Finally after several months he and his friend Keith Morrison arrived at Fort Langley. In 1858 he and several of his workmates at Fort Langley found the original gold on the Fraser. This began the famous 1858 gold rush and the birth of British Columbia. He worked as a cooper for the Company until it disbanded.
When the Company ceased operation in 1861 at Fort Langley John McIver and the other employees had a choice: have their fares paid back to Scotland or settle on 160 acres of land near the fort. McIver chose the land settlement. He did not choose his quarter section (160 acres) on the south side of the river, but decided to locate on an easily accessible bench of land above the river on the north side. He began the task of clearing the heavy timber from the property to transform the land into an operating farm. He toiled on the land with the motto: “Man conquers as he achieves and achieves as he aspires.” As the clearing progressed McIver uncovered a cluster of maple trees on the high ground overlooking the river. He named the area Maple Ridge.
In 1875 he returned to Scotland to secure a wife to come to Maple Ridge, BC. The couple settled down on their homestead and had seven children. When his Dad died on May 13th, 1913 the eldest son John Jr. inherited 40 acres of the original farm.
On October 3, 1874 the local citizens met in the original McIver farmhouse to form the municipality of Maple Ridge formed. A few days later on October 7th, 1874 the first council meeting convened in the McIver farmhouse. Ironically John McIver, the eldest son of one of the founders of Maple Ridge, served as the Reeve from 1921 – 1924. In this capacity McIver would have been exposed to the new movement that was sweeping the Pacific Coast. “Build a golf course in your municipality and have the travelling motor tourists stay one more day to play the best golf course on the coast.” In the Fraser Valley Chilliwack first caught “golfitis”. In April 1925 Mission caught the bug.
Thomas Lowrie, a transplanted Scot, approached McIver Jr. asking for permission to transform his dairy farm into a golf course. McIver willingly agreed. Immediately a group of bankers and local businessmen called a meeting to form the Maple Ridge G&CC.
“The annual subscription was fixed at $15 for gentlemen, $7.50 for ladies payable quarterly in advance.” Jimmy Huish, professional at the Vancouver Golf Club, agreed to layout the course and give lessons on a monthly basis. The following officers were appointed for the first year: Honorary President Nels Lougheed, President Reeve JB Martyn, Vice Presidents TH Buckerfield & Chas Finelli, Secretary JT Lowrie, Treasurer HM McCullough and Captain Tom Laurie.
On Labour Day, Monday, September 7th, 1925 at 2:00 PM Reeve JB Martyn’s wife struck the first shot to officially open the course. Ex Reeve McIver and Reeve Martyn represented the initial group to play the first game course. Then everyone was allowed to play for free. Many played until well after dark. The disease ‘golfitis’ had caught Maple Ridge. Because of the success of the course John McIver suggested the club should ask for a tax exemption from the municipality.
In April 1928 the new clubhouse opened to the membership. “The course is in a beautiful spot on the bank of the Fraser River at Port Hammond. There are at present nine holes several of which are of a sporty nature character.” Vancouver Province April 15th 1928.
The lease for the golf course was renewed regularly until 1971 when the historic piece of land was purchased from Mrs J McIver to be preserved for recreational purposes.
Over the club’s history several hole in ones have been recorded. Two deserve special mention. On August 31, 1961 Al Liberto, Richard Leisen and Hal York performed history. Each had a hole in one in the same round: Al scored his on the 5th and Richard and Hal scored theirs on the 6th. Three hole-in-ones on consecutive holes. On April 18th, 2007 Judy and husband John Jones both shot holes-in-one in the same round.
Congratulations to Maple Ridge G&CC on their 90th anniversary. Who will strike the shot on Labour Day September 7, 2015?
Photo taken in 1930
Photo taken in 2015